The scale was kind today. 232.2 ... that's down 4.6 since last Thursday, when I tried to start South Beach (my heart had other ideas for my weekend). The SB web site fussed and me about weighing in every day, but I ignored it. As we have discussed here, I NEED to weigh every day to keep motivated.
A friend asked me in an e-mail why my cardiologist recommended South Beach and not sending me to a registered nutritionist. Don't know. However a good friend of ours is degreed in dietetics/nutrition (what is it exactly, Jenn?) and she came over last night and really, really helped with our pantry and refrigerator. We talked about my triggers ... I crave the bread/pasta/rice form of carbs. I would eat a flour tortilla with butter over other snacks in the house and would make pasta and olive oil for dinner when George wasn't home for dinner or when I was hungry. And yesterday I mentioned those Einstein's bagels (oh how I miss them). But both Jenn and the SB info say that the craving will go away after a couple of weeks.
George has it a little easier as long as I am careful about what's in the house. When he gets hungry, especially when he comes home hungry, he reaches for EASY, whatever that may be. Crackers and cheese was the go-to most recently. Where I would stop and cook some pasta or rice, he wouldn't wait. Whatever he touched when he reached out his hand. So the trick for him is to keep healthy readily-consumed items in the house. Fruit (after phase 1 when we can have it again), baby carrots (he loves those), and then teach him to reach for those rather than habit having him see only the crackers. Oops. Didn't get rid of the crackers last night in the great purge. Perhaps we should.
I have at least one dietician and one cardio nurse reading this, so I am a little hesitant to say ... YAY for being able to have salt! I have cut back, but with BP still running abt 95/59 I'm not too worried. Now, when I see my cardiologist on Jan 19 and he (likely) adjusts my meds, I will probably have to cut down. But it's party time till then!!
Had some steak last night. I actually weighed the cooked portions that went on our plates and that 4 oz was smaller than I thought. But it was filling and we had leftovers for lunch today. We combined it with a couple of cups each of mixed veggies (broccoli and cauliflower) and had a great dinner.
Lunch today was some of the leftover steak, thinly sliced, with eggs and vegetables. Yum!
Got to hit the SB web site today for more ideas and go grocery shopping.
=) Well, remember what they say...you can't eat it if you don't buy it. Make some wise choices at the grocery store and you have no choice but to follow through!
ReplyDeleteMust be a "Ficker" thing (those craving genes) - LOL! TJ and I are using www.caloriecount.com. I like it because it breaks down everything you are eating by nutrient and "grades" your day. Also keeps track of the water intake and exercise. And "there's an app for that"! LOL! I don't know why we are more motivated this time than any other, but we are. He's lost close to 10 lbs. this week and I've lost 5 lbs. (I hate men - LOL). Love you! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteHi Kristi!
ReplyDeleteYep. I know Mother struggled with ice cream ... she often sail Blue Bell caused her stroke! Luckily, I guess, I missed the sweets-craving, so I don't have to battle that as well.
Don't worry about TJ's big loss. Men seem to lose faster in the beginning, but we women are steadier. Your 5 lbs is super! Keep it up and we will both see a healthier 2012.