Folks have asked me several times lately what I do now that I'm retired. And I reflect on why my days seem so busy, when I have nothing official to do. What am I doing?
Knitting: just finished an afghan that was nothing but garter stitch. Looks like this
... yes, pretty, but boring. So I decided to challenge myself on the next project. I will be working on a lace shawl called Regrowth and here is what it will look like:
Now, that should keep me busy for a while, right?
P.E.O.:
Not quite as busy as a full time job ... remember, I've had one of those! But there are times when it comes close. Just returned from LEAD conference in Des Moines. Have official visit packets to mail out August 1st. Then summer board meeting. Then official visits start. Whew! But I have met and befriended so many wonderful women that it is more than worth it!
Quilting: This one is Scotty's fault. She has been determined that I join her in her quilting addiction, and I have recently succumbed! I am working on a project at her house that I will reveal at a later date. Going to be Christmas gifts, so I can't really post pictures here, now can I? But the next project has been inspired by the movie "Julie & Julia". No, I'm not going to quilt my way through "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" Rather I am going to work my way through "501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks"
Yes, I expect it will take me a LONG time. On the order of YEARS. But, hey! I'm retired!
Writing: I have never lost my interest in the trajectory of public education. How are we going to educate these little urchins (with a nod to Bill O'Reilly) So I am back to reading about the future of education and the models already in place. The plan is for this reading and research to end up as a book. It is slow, but fascinating work.
Mundane: And of course there is the daily routine ... laundry, cooking, being with George.
So, the purpose of this blog has revealed itself as I write. I want to log what I do and how I feel as life progresses. Perhaps my girls will enjoy this, who knows. But I will be able to look back and see where retirement has taken me.




OMG - knitted lace! That is soooooo hard! I salute you! Hope you guys are doing OK, since it's - thankfully? - been a while since you were in town. Lynn
ReplyDeleteActually, I find knitted lace not so hard, once I get the pattern set. But I have started this one over 4 times, trying to get the rhythm right!
DeleteAnd we won't have to come back to Houston for medical reasons any time soon. Doc there has released me to my doc in Abq!
And your afghan is NOT boring, I think it's gorgeous. I love the way the colors blend from one to another. My goal is to make one like it, but it'll probably be 5 years before I'm done. -Lynn, again
ReplyDeleteIt was a kit from KnitPicks. I don't know if they still sell the kit, but I have the pattern and all the color numbers. I also did a bright-colored one for Meredith. It should be on her Facebook page under her pictures.
DeleteUm I totally want that "boring" aka AMAZING afghan! So lovely to read your words and am excited to follow along. Hugs to you!! Hugs to George!!
ReplyDeleteGood to "see" you, Jenn! Where are you living now?
Delete