Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thanksgiving Feed - The Gravy



And here we are ... almost done with the "main" dish ... turkey/dressing/gravy. I will confess I've never been very good making gravy. My Mother wasn't and my Italian grandmother didn't make it that I can remember. Sooooo ... what am I to do? I suppose I will do what cooks have done forever ... use the pan drippings, some flour, some milk and viola! GRAVY! Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? 

If you actually make gravy from a recipe, let me know. PLEASE!

4 comments:

  1. While I personally would have to seriously answer to Christine if I used her beloved viola, I have made gravy with just drippings, flour and milk, but the times it came out better, I cheated!! Browning the drippings and flour to a nice brown color, like when making a roux, but adding chicken broth as the liquid came out better for me. (I understand Swanson's now hsa turkey.) I just used the 2T-2T-1C proportion for medium thick (consistency of heavy cream). Then, if still not happy, I add a little jar of prepared (Campbell's Homestyle or some such brand) turkey gravy. Gave it a silkier consistency, probably due to the cornstarch, and a nice turkey rather than chicken-y flavor, though they are close enough to not really matter. --Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I could count on you for good instructions. For all the things I cook, you would think gravy wouldn't be that hard ... same as pie crusts for me ... just can't get them right.
      OK. So it's voila ...

      Delete
    2. Ah! Just saw this. Sorry, I couldn't resist about the viola. I get enough grief about that I just had to spread some around. We're doing T-giving with siblings and parents at the ranch in So TX. Only younger generation members Christine and my sister's 2 kids will be there, as Bill's son is tied up with his in-laws [and his 2 little ones] and Chip is in LA, having decided that making 2 trips to Houston in less than a month is economic suicide when assembling housing down payments. Better to come one time, stay longer and get in both a holiday AND his uncle's wedding (Farrell's brother is getting married Dec 28) and in the intervening days make "the great circle route" to Austin, San Antonio and New Braunfels to see grandparents and Natalie's mom. Makes sense. So, no turkey cooking for me this time.

      Delete
    3. I understand that as we get more kiddos, it gets harder to get everyone together at once. We are staying here for both Christmas and Thanksgiving. Meredith and Jeff will join us ... first time since grandkids arrived that we haven't gone to Dallas. I now have an appreciation for the dance my parents did every holiday season!

      Delete